WHAT YOU’LL FIND ON THIS PAGE:
- – Small Group Discussion Questions
- – Family Discussion Questions & Activity Pages from the Children’s Message
- – A Youth talk/link from Pastor Conor
QUESTIONS THAT WILL HELP YOU DIG DEEPER INTO THE MAIN MESSAGE FOR YOUR FAMILY DEVOTIONS OR SMALL GROUP:
Read Luke 16:14-18. Discussion starter: “What is the most phony, fake thing you’ve ever done?” (i.e. Ever lie about your age? Ever pretend to be someone you’re not just to get a date? C’mon… think about it.)
Pastor Michael said, “The Pharisees put on a parade of goodness; and they believed that material prosperity was a reward of how good they were. But what Jesus is saying is that the more they exalted themselves before men, the more they made God sick. The stuff that might make someone admired by people, is often the same stuff that God doesn’t appreciate“. What are some ways that we do this today?
Talk about the two schools of thought concerning divorce (Shammai or Hillel). Jesus went with Shammai… why do you think that is?
When feeling as though you are simply ‘going through the motions’ at work, or in your relationships… Pastor said that the solution was to ‘Stand in AWE‘ of God. What does that look like? Read Psalm 63 and discuss each thing King David did, instead of whine and complain or even ‘check out’ when he was hurting and in the wilderness.
Lastly, read Isaiah 40:27-31 (here it is in The Message translation): “Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying, “God has lost track of me. He doesn’t care what happens to me”? Don’t you know anything? Haven’t you been listening? God doesn’t come and go. God lasts. He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine. He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch His breath. And He knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts. For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind.” What stands out to you about this passage?
What would it look like for you to ‘Stand in AWE’ of God this week?
Family Discussion Questions for the children’s message: “Daniel In The Lion’s Den”
Choose a volunteer to read aloud Daniel 6:10.
Ask the following questions and Lead your family to discuss:
- Why did Daniel continue to pray if he knew he would be punished? Daniel trusted God and knew God would hear him when he prayed. This is why we pray too!
- How did Daniel’s obedience to God point others to God? Invite kids to discuss. Point out that after God shut the mouths of the lions to save Daniel, King Darius realized that God is the “living God” who “rescues and delivers.” (See Dan. 6:26-27.) (Option: Choose a volunteer to read Gal. 1:3-4.)
- Is everything in life easy if we just obey God? Invite kids to share their ideas. Emphasize that obedience leading to an easy life wasn’t true for Daniel and it is not true for us. The Bible says following God will cost us, but He is worth it. (Option: Choose a kid to read Matt. 16:24-25.)
- How can you trust God when facing something hard? Assure kids that even when we face difficult times, we have a loving heavenly Father. Jesus prays for us according to God’s will. God will use each situation in our life for His glory and our good. He cares for us, sees us, knows us, and loves us. (Option: Choose a volunteer to read Rom. 8:26-28.)
ACTIVITY PAGES TO BE DOWNLOADED BELOW:
A QUICK MESSAGE FOR THE YOUTH:
If you’re a teen, click HERE.